15 Minute Focus – Self-Harm and Self-Injury: When Emotional Pain Becomes Physical
In 15-Minute Focus: Self-Harm and Self-Injury: When Emotional Pain Becomes Physical, author Dr. Leigh Bagwell offers an in-depth look at the who, what, and why of self-harm; more accurately called nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI).
Students today face stressors on an unprecedented scale. From unstable world events to unsteady family situations, the external and internal pressures they experience can become overwhelming, and some turn to self-harm (NSSI) as a means to cope. On the outside, such behavior confuses and disturbs many people, even the teachers and parents who are closest to students. This book provides the research and perspective adults need to help kids who turn to NSSI as a means of dealing with their distress.
In this book, you’ll discover:
- Types of NSSI behavior, including cutting, biting, hair pulling, and bruising
- The relationship between self-harm (NSSI) and suicidal ideation
- Signs and symptoms of NSSI beyond wounds and scars
- Myths and truths about NSSI
- Protocols for schools to follow when NSSI is suspected
- How parents and schools can partner to help students in need
This book features stories from students as they explain NSSI from their experiences, giving adults an inside look into the lives of those who struggle with this behavior. Also included are online resources that counselors and teachers can utilize, including infographics, NSSI assessments, and calming behaviors for use in place of self-harm.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.