Maximizes treatment of childhood trauma by combining two powerful modalities
This pioneering guidebook fully integrates the theoretical foundations and practical applications of play therapy and EMDR in order to maximize healing in in children with trauma. By highlighting the work of innovative EMDR therapists and play and expressive art therapists and their pioneering clinical work, the authors provide a fully integrated approach to using EMDR in a play therapy context while being faithful to both play therapy principles and the 8 phases of the EMDR standard protocol.
This book provides in-depth discussions on how leading innovators integrate their modalities—TraumaPlay, sand tray, art therapy, Synergetic Play therapy, Child-centered and Developmental Play Therapy—with EMDR and includes real life examples of assessment, parent and child preparation, developing emotional resources for reprocessing trauma using EMDR in play or expressive therapy, and a comprehensive look at complications of dissociation in trauma processing and how to manage these. Corresponding to the eight EMDR phases are twelve interventions, comprised of a brief rationale, step-by-step directions, materials needed, case examples, and supporting visual materials.
- Integrates EMDR and play therapy to create a powerful method for treating children suffering from trauma
- Includes contributions from dually credentialled EMDR clinicians and registered play therapists, art therapists, and sand tray practitioners
- Offers a fully integrated approach to EMDR and play therapy faithful to the eight phases of standard EMDR protocol and play therapy principles
- Includes a chapter on culturally sensitive EMDR and play using Latinx culture as the lens Describes how traditional play therapy creates an emotionally safe space for trauma work for children
- Provides hands-on play therapy interventions for each EMDR phase in quick reference format
- Delivers multiple interventions with rationale, step-by-step directions, materials required, case examples, and visual aids
- Foreward by Ana Gomez, leading author on the use of EMDR with children
- Publication Date: September 16, 2020
- Page Count: 422
- Trim Size: 6in x 9in